We started out with scary stuff -- there are lots of scams out there. He shared a video helping us understand how to protect ourselves. Here are some guidelines:
- Get advice from someone you seek out that has an independent perspective. (not from someone who has something to sell they get commissions on).
- Be careful if you go in for one thing and end up doing lot of other stuff.
- Get all details in writing and check them out. Make sure you understand everything. Get independent review (not Better Business Bureau because the scammers move and change so fast there usually isn't time for them to build up a bad reputation.)
- Beware of unsolicited help.
- No surprises and don't get pushed to go too fast (in our house we call it "slammed" with teenagers who have to have a decision right now!)
- Be realistic -- if it looks too good to be true . . .
Dan gave a number to get information or report scams. 1-888-460-Seniors.
He shared a bit about the church endowment with the Humboldt Area Foundation.
Dan gave lots more advice. We have his card and a packet of other information in the office if you want to see more. There are also a few brochures you can request detailed in the last page of the packet.
Thank you Dan for coming to talk with us.
And everyone remember to put the church in your will.